28 March 2007

thirty is the new twenty only with a tougher hangover

It has been eleven days since I last worked, and I sit here this morning fresh off probaation, at airport alert. It feels like I have been away a month. On the bus ride to the airport, I watched as planes climbed off the tarmac and remembered how much I love being in them as the climb and go off to new destinations. Much has happened in the past week, friends arrived, my birthday, and days of recovery.
I wish we had a camera crew follow the birthday group around all weekend because a mini serious could have been easily compulated. I will prepare to do the weekend justice in my re-account of it. Thursday mornng the early arrivers and I set off for the city. The car was packed with bags and giggling girls as we made our way to the Lincoln Tunnel. The valet welcomed us with humor and the front desk welcomed me with presents and generous hospitality. Up the fourty-seventh floor we went and met our good friend, Dave May. The other girls went off sightseeing while I enjoyed the company of my friend and the beautiful flowers he had sent up. We agreed to meet at the hotel bar for happy hour and then plan our evening. We had a few drinks and then a hankering for sushi, we set off to Tao' but they had a private party so we only had time for one drink. Instead we hailed a towncar on Park, where Richard, the driver, took us down to Union Square to try Japonais. The food and the company were outstanding and put us in prime form to continue our night at the Underbar. The married couple returned from the Knicks game to meet up with us in our private room, and right before we moved on Janene joined us as well. We pilled into a limo and went to the MPD, without much luck of getting a group in. We ended up at One with our own table and me constantly looking for celebs. This was one of our earlier nights as we got in around three with the addition of Hilary.

Friday was the big day. We slept in for a bit and then spilt off to get ready in our own way. I headed off to get my hair done with my girls and stopped for a hot dog in the rain. Back to the hotel just as they were calling to let us know our suite was ready and Christina and I went and enjoyed the serenity of watching the mad city below before the rest of the party arrived. Everyone got ready in their own time and sat around listening to music, eating cheese, and drinking wine. There was a knock at the door and much to my surprise a tray with two bottles of champange, chocolate covered strawberries, and a slice of birthday cake with a candle. It was a gift from Lynne, such a sweetheart!!! I made my wish thinking I had another one coming later on that night. It was almost time to leave so I shewed everyone out of the room so I could make a grand entrance. My outfit was perfect and I felt like celeb. I opened my wonderful presents from everyone and then we were off to dinner. Chris arranged a limo that took us to Lotus, the ride was so much fun and it felt like we were going to prom with everyone dressed up. Dave and Chris had seven girls as their dates. Our table was in the back set up with name cards, and a personalized menu wishing me happy birthday and outliniing our eight course meal. The food came in individual take out boxes served with chopsticks. and let me tell you, that was damn good food!!! Champange and drinks accompanied our good time and everyone asked who we were. One of my favorite moemnts of the evening was when Nene fell out of her chair from laughing too hard and Nichole's response was,"is the chair okay?'. I could not have been happier than I was during those two hours. As previously planned, my birthday cake arrived. I ordered a black and white cake from Ferarras and mailed 30 candels. The cake only had ten, the cake was white, the cake said, "Happy Birthday Gerlane"...I begged people to stop singing as it was not my cake. I was asked to blow out the candels but I thought it would be bad luck to blow out someone else's candels. My cake was not there. Oh, well, we were stuffed anyway!! We headed upstairs to our own table where Chris and Nichole generously ordered a huge bottles of champange and we danced, danced, danced the evening away. It was the perfect night filled with laugher and lots of boobs. The pictures are priceless. The few hardcore partiers, myself included, moved on to other clubs looking for more to do, but everything failed in comparison to our party. We made it home around 0500. The doormen already knew us and came up for yet another black and white cookie in exchange for his W pin.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Day three was sit around and watch movies day, got some grease at the diner, and prepare for another night out. I requested dinner in Little Italy which was arranged courtesy of Dave May. The place we went was soooo good and once again we were treated like celebs, other patrons were even asking who was sitting at our table as we made friends with Tony the greatest waiter, and all of the managers. Everyone beside Christina, Dave May, and I faded. We decided to hit the local scene and see what was up. We headed to the Alphabet zone and ended up at China 1, not the Animal Hospital. We hung out there for a bit and met some guys from Detriot. It was my mission to find the cutest guy in the place and ask him for a kiss. There was two guys hanging out by the dj booth and it was a last minute decision who was cuter. I went with the guy on the left. 'It is my 30th birthday, will you kiss me?" His friend replied enthusiasically, "yay he will!!". The cutie grabbed me and gave me a hollywood kiss. I said thank you and walked back to my friends. Then we headed to the No Malace Palace. Detriot boys were all about buying tequilla shots and even made me do a body shot. After that boy kissed me, the vibe was lost and I told C, it was time to hit the bricks. She found a cutie and we ran out the door as fast as we could. We only had 15 minutes to get another drink. After running outside, I found another hottie and gave him my line. He kissed me as well and then ended up being the friend of the guy C found. Perfect!! The four of us had some more to drink and then headed off to Cafeteria for grilled cheese. The cab was driven by Mohammad whom I made good friends with along the way and who allowed me to doodle on his clipboard. There was a huge line at Cafateria which I just walked up and smoozed the bouncer to get us in. it was soo good!! We didn't get back the hotel until 0700.
My actually birthday day was spent sayng goodbye to friends, getting back to the ol' Kearny house, getting some Boston Market and later pizza, watching the Duck basketball game, figuring out the source of bruised, watching Office Space, and retelling stories about the days prior. For the past two nights I haven't moved when I hit the pillow. I suspect it will be a week before I am fully recoverd. I was welcomed to my thirties with the best weekend of my life.

No comments: