02 March 2007

fort

A part of this job, which they don’t disclose during the interview process, is the loneliness. Many of us, including myself, have uprooted their lives and moved for the job. The loneliness I am feeling now is mostly self-made as I found a place to have solitude while everyone else is home. I returned home after four hours of airport appreciation last night to house full of roommates and one out of town guest. I stepped through the maze to go the bathroom, then to feed George, and then to feed myself. Realizing I had yet to put my sheets on from laundry day, I tackled the project of making a loft bead. Up and down the step I went, sheet, sheet, comforter, pillow, and pillow. Then it hit me, my bed with pillows positioned properly could serve as my own fort. I got comfy and climbed up with my computer, headphones, and a disk of Grey’s Anatomy and found much needed solitude. Sadly this is also how I spent my on-call day today as well, watching six episodes. Now it is drawing towards midnight and although I have talked to a couple friends, I still feel alone. Not really homesick, not in the mood to hang out with anyone, just empty.

No comments: