18 November 2007

prg

With a four day weekend on my hands and, may I dare to say, getting tired of exploring NYC, I set off for a city that has nothing but rave reviews. It is Sunday morning here in Prague and the only people wandering the streets are a few old people, the Japanese, and myself. I wandered into a previous internet cafe to find people still drinking beer at 0900. I heard the party doesn't even get going here until 0200. I am offically an old lady on this trip as I was in bed by then. Because time is so precious and there is so much to see in this outstanding city, I refrained from the temptation to go and party.
I arrived yesterday via FRA and wandered the cobblestone streets looking for accomadation. I ended up at this adorable boutique hotel next to the Old Town Sqaure. It is so amazing here, that words don't even begin to describe the beauty of the architecture, the amazment of the history, and the peace that comes from being here. They have an old Czech saying that where beer is brewed, life is good. That couldn't be more true here.
My obstacle of trying to convert the currency according the sign at the airport made for a bit of hillarity at the souviner shop as I was mentally a decimal point off. Well, at least people are getting nice gifts! I have also found the lack of coffee shops here since I am running on seven hours total sleep, I have been seeking them out only to find bars. And it seems perfectly acceptable to have a beer with your breakfast.
I am now off to a tour of all the must see things, off to explore on my own after, lunch, a nap, maybe a ghost tour, and then meeting up with some new friends and pulling an all nighter. My taxi arrives at 0330 to begin my journey back home.

day two

My short time in Prague was exactly what I needed to clear my head and heart whilst momentarily living among centuries of history. I elected to take a walking tour to ensure I saw the highlights of the city plus it is always great to hear the history and some antidotes. I met the group under the horse statue and we were off, immediately a girl befriended me and we hung out the whole journey. Her name was Linda from Australia. That is what I love about traveling is meeting new people and even though I wanted to be alone, it was so nice to have another half for the day. We learned about the communist area, the protest, the conditions, and the overturning. It was strange to think that it was in my lifetime. We learned about the astronomical clock, the beginning of Protestants, the Jewish quarter, we took a river boat cruise and looked at the city whilst drinking a beer, ate goulash for lunch and then we walked across the St Charles Bridge and up to the Prague castle for the changing of the guard. Our tour guy was fantastic and funny. Six hours of walking around in the freezing cold warranted a nap. After Linda and I met up for the ghost tour, which was free with our journey and certainly not worth paying for. A small dinner and then we chit chatted in my room over beers until the wee hours. After pulling an all nighter, and switching planes in FRA, I made it home. Sadly my peace was distributed with the finding of the roommate, a dirty bathroom, and my missing pita chips. Sometimes I think I should just get a boyfriend to have somewhere else to go, today it wouldn’t have mattered who the hell is was as long as they had quite, warmth, and something to eat.

No comments: