25 November 2007

fco minus turkey

The night before was spent partying with beautiful people at a table at Marquee. When the phone rang at 1000 announcing my airport alert assignment, it didn’t surprise me, as it was the holiday week. I was wondering where I would be spending the Thanksgiving holiday as it is my second favorite and I wanted to get myself in the mindset of being away or at home. I took my computer, which I never do, to play on the internet and perhaps watch a movie during my four-hour duty. For two and a half hours I sat there, ate subway, shopped and bought a bed online, and started on a resume for a bartending job I saw. The phone rang and I walked up when I heard my name called. “Okay this is just a maybe that you will go since the person is late coming in. So head to the gate and it won’t be official until the door closes.” “May I ask where I may be going?” “Sure, it a 5 day trip to Rome.” Holy Shit! Please don’t let this lady show up is what I was thinking as I made my way to the gate along side my former roommate, Missy. I get onboard this super senior flight and do what I am supposed to do. The door closed, I called scheduling, and now I am sitting in Roma on Thanksgiving Day. The ironic thing is that the movie I choose to bring with me was Roman Holiday; I think this was meant to be.

Day one
Since I was off the clock when it came to sightseeing, a. because I had been here previous on holiday and b. I had three, count them, three days to explore, I spent the afternoon catching up on my rest. The remaining crew met at 1830 to join for dinner and celebrate Thanksgiving with our make shift family. There are no turkeys over here so we settled for an amazing restaurant a cab ride away. Our captain was Italian and ordered tons of appetizers and kept the wine flowing. We ate mussels, calamari (fried and steamed), fried stuffed fish, prosuttio and mozzarella, bread and olives. An hour of eating and then we ordered dinner. I spilt the veal with a coworker and then came the tiramisu and cappuccino. We laughed and chatted away for hours as the Europeans do over dinner. Then we caught a lift back and ended our night with pistachio gelato. In true Turkey Day form, I was stuffed to the gills as I headed to bed. Tomorrow we set off for the south to explore. My favorite person thus far on this trip is Ramona, a senior flight attendant whose seniority is 280 and mine, well mine is 8700. She is fantastic!!

Day two

The plan was to go to Pompeii via train with Jan and see the ruins. Instead we were able to talk two more people into going with us and managed to hitch a ride. We met in the lobby at 0630, however I had been up since 0230. A two and half hour car ride with way too much information in the form of conversation lead us to a train station where we made our way to the base of Mt. Vesuvius. We were guided through the ancient ruins with stories and mostly awe for the way they lived and how advanced their society was. The city existed from 800 BC until 79 AD when the volcano erupted and buried the city. It took two hundred years to excavate. It was absolutely amazing to walk through history. After we jumped on a train and headed north to Naples, as we exited the train a black lab was in the station so of course I petted the dog and it then proceeded to follow us up the escalator and through the city. We ate lunch at the city credited for inventing pizza while my faithful dog, named Metro Napoleon, sat beside me (I insisted on outdoor dinning). Metro shared my pizza and then kept with us as we walked through the city that was actually really dirty. Sadly we lost her in the protest but it was probably better that way since she wouldn’t have fit in the cab on the way back to the train. My long day ended with a small picnic in my room. In true Italian style I ate bread, salami and cheese with some wine.

Day three

I woke up early and grabbed a cappuccino then made my way to the Vatican were the line stretched for easily a half mile. I was just taking photos since I have gratefully already visited. From there I headed to an area suggested by a local flight attendant but after two hours of being next to it but not able to figure out how to get the area, I gave up. During my wrong way, however I did manage to get to the tallest point in Rome and see the city as a whole. I ran into another lost American and we talked for a bit then I decided to turn left and kept seeing all of these priest and bishops. I unsure what was going on but perfectly safe walking down that street. I came upon a crowd and what I first thought was St. Peter’s Basilica but I wasn’t sure. Thousands of people were standing around and more and more church heads were exiting. I went into a shop for water and asked what was going on but the guy said he didn’t know. I stood to watch and the thunder and lighting started. It was kind of a “Godly experience” for lack of a better description. Thankfully I packed my umbrella because the heavens opened and dumped rain. The twenty-minute walk back to the hotel was done in ten and a nap soon followed. Feeling guilty about not seeing the cliché Rome, I took the Metro to the other side of the river and walked around. It was over running with people so I grabbed a slice of pizza and headed back. Watching the news I found out that the crowd was there to watch the Pope create 23 new bishops.

I have packed up and can actually say that I am ready to go home. It has been a great little holiday, a Roman Holiday.

No comments: