28 November 2008

turkey day in the big apple

My favorite real holiday is Thanksgiving.
Going off my two last Turkey Days spent as a flight attendant I had the idea that I would be somewhere great. The first year I was fortunate enough to have a trip that landed me in Portland for the night and was able to make dinner at my house. The following year luck was on my side once more and I was in Rome on a five-day trip. My luck this year was not in place. I even moved my days around so I could be available for a five-day trip somewhere fabulous. I even signed up for airport alert on Monday with a positive attitude and was sent home empty handed mirroring the three other times I have warmed the couch this month.
So today, I was on page two of the list and as I woke up croggy from my night prior, I started looking around my room and got sad not to be at home. What was worse it that I had no idea where I would end up for the day or how I would get some much needed turkey in my tummy. I went to the coffee shop and sat hoping I could magically be home. When I returned I found my roommate leaving to enjoy with his family. After a teary eyed call from Carol, I decided to take a shower and get all dressed up and have a nice Turkey dinner at some swank place. Well I returned to my room to hear the tune. Airport alert was assigned at 1930. I made some mac and cheese and sat in the living room sad. I took a much-needed nap and then headed towards the subway. I stopped by a diner next to Port Authority and begged them to let me take turkey dinner to go. And I sat in the crew room and ate my turkey and pumpkin pie.
I got back home at 0100 and am still sad but at least my tummy is happy!

No comments: