21 November 2008

early date

Of all the strange dates I have had this one goes down as the earliest date ever.
I play volleyball for a city league and we are not very good, in fact we suck. The main purpose for us getting together every Wednesday night is to have cocktails after. Well my first game with the team was on the UWS the day I moved into my apartment so I just told the crew I would meet them there versus going all the way down to the EV and back up. Ellie told me to go to the school on 79th and Amsterdam. Ok, so I show up ten early and begin to wander through the school to look for the gym. I am not seeing anyone but cleaners and noticing how the hallways lock up. I decided it best to go back to the lobby and wait as I could see myself spending the night trapped. Finally a teacher comes down and I ask her where the gym is explaining I was there to play volleyball. She was stunned and then told me that there was no gym there. First what the hell kind of school doesn’t have a gym, and what do I do now? She was kind enough to walk me to a rec center around the corner explaining that she thought I was Gwyneth Paltrow. I don’t think she has time to hang around closed schools looking for volleyball teams, but whatever! So I hear the squeak of shoes against a gym floor and bound up the stairs to find guys playing basketball. Piss! However they were able to direct me to the correct school, gave me the address and everything. So I ran over there in time to play a game and a half and then go out for drinks.
We go to this bar around the corner and after my friends ditch me I move to another table and watch the end of the Phillies win over the Rays. Upon leaving a guy gives me his card and tells me to do what I would like with it. Two weeks later I text him and then we set up this date. So yesterday morning I wake up at 715 in order to meet him at 745 at a coffee shop three blocks down the road. I brushed my teeth and hair and bundled up. I didn’t have the energy for sox and shoes and just figured sandals would be okay for a short walk. I get there 5 early to discover that this coffee shop doesn’t open until 1000. Yay, right?! So I stand there and make small talk with the lady guarding the construction sight next door. Finally Kurt shows up and is just as surprised as I am. He suggested another place on 112th and Broadway so off we go, through Morningside Park up flights of stairs and two more long blocks. And just when I think my toes are going to fall off we arrive at a great little cafĂ© for breakfast. In retrospect the date was good, he is cute and funny, intelligent, and adventurous and I will see him again for sure. After tracing my steps back home at a fairly rapid pace, I climbed back into bed until 1130.

No comments: