24 February 2009

dubai...a mirage: a letter written to another applicant

So I went to Dubai to visit my friend and here is what I found out. They called an update meeting to let the cabin crew know that there will be no profit sharing this year as they had not made a profit. Also they have stopped recruiting at this point and time and well as stopped training until they can re-evaluate.

I stayed in crew accomidation and even though it was nice, each person has their own bathroom, bedroom fully furnished in a brand new building. You can't open the windows for fresh air. The building I stayed in was the Millenium Tower and it is in the center of Business Bay which will be something grand in a year or so but right now it is just dirt. My other friend lives in 21st Century building and it a bit friendlier to get around without having a car. That's the thing as well, you really need a car to have sanity. True the crew bus picks you up to and from the airport but other than that there are just taxis. You are not allowed to get a car loan for the first 6 months of your probationary period.

Food is expensive as well since everything is shipped in. It was kind of fun to go to the market and see produce from all over the world though.

I liked the city but I don't believe it lived up to it's hipe.

Pablo sent me this article, which I found amusing and could see how it could be totally true. They are all about appearances.

I'll keep you updated if I hear any good news from there as well.

No comments: