01 July 2011

for the love of a city

My unused airport alert on Thursday did provide me the opportunity to pick up a trip. I only looked at the city and was so entranced, I didn't look at the position...back galley. I am not good at the back galley in any plane, let alone a wide body. I thought for sure someone would trade but I was met with snobbery when I asked. The speaker finally traded which put me out in the aisle. You have a bar cart partner and the relationship with that person can make or break the flight. I have lazy bitch as my partner. The trip isn't going well.

I got a bad vibe off of her from the get go and was disappointed to see she was on my side. It is typically the French speakers who are lazy but this one...she didn't do shit. When I am working, I just want to get the service over with, so I bust my ass. I did the drinks, the meals, the pick up the dah, dah, dah. This isn't a hard job, let's get it done. I came back with the second meal cart full and went off. The other reserve, not the lazy one felt my wrath and went to pick up. At the very end of the flight when we all pow-pow'd about our mutual feelings of disgust, I handed the bitch a pick up pan. "Your turn, we have all been out there." She looked at me with a profound look but went out there and picked up.

Here is the catch-22. Tomorrow, I can play that game and make her pick up my slack; I can doddle with the best of them. But, but we have crew breaks. That means we all want to finish as fast as possible so we can get more nap time in. Guess I will mess with her on the second service. And watch out for her name on future flights.

~~~~~ the layover
I had actually forgotten about my distaste for most of the crew after my nap here in Paris. That is the beauty of this job, letting go right after the flight is over.

We arrived after an hour and half bus ride into the city. I awoke from my mini nap just in time to see the Eifel Tower; I immediately smiled! We are staying in a new hotel so I was quickly shown around by the purser, who took an immediate shining to me. We had to wait a bit for our rooms so I decided to have coffee and then go straight out exploring.

The view from my room is the river and the mini statue of liberty. I had never seen it up close so I started my journey there. I crossed over the river and began my 4 hours of walking, shopping, exploring. I love being here! However cliche it is, it is one of my favorite cities.

Without my usual rest, I hit a wall around the fourth hour. My lunch of croque monsieur and wine put me over the edge, bed called out. Of course my sleeping pattern is a bit jacked and I am beating myself up for sleeping until the gym closure. Funny because I probably walked 12 miles today. Oh, well!

The funny thing about this layover. The last time I was in Paris was September 2008. I remember it well even though I had been working Paris trips all summer. I had been dumped the night prior. Paris is not a lovely place when newly single. Now I return with a new love. The love that was meant to be. Sometimes it takes a small pause of recognition and three years time to remember.

No comments: